Battlefield Relic, The Only Witness Left Standing to the Battle of Culloden

Standing on its own on the bloody battlefield. Julian Paren. CC BY 2.0

During the battle, the cottage’s site was reportedly used as a field hospital. Post-battle, several alterations were made, and by the late 19th century, the building was in disrepair until Duncan Forbes reconstructed it in 1881. Further restorations occurred in the 1920s, and the cottage became part of the National Trust for Scotland’s museum complex in 1961

oil painting of a battle
Despite not being an original structure from the battle, Old Leanach Cottage remains a significant historical landmark, embodying the memory and heritage of the Jacobite uprising and the Battle of Cullodendrawing of a man on horseback with soldiers walking along side
old grave stone

A grave stone on the Battlefield of Culloden, in memory of the Macgillivrays, Macleans, Maclachlans and the Athol clans. Credit: Peter Mulligan. CC BY 2.0

About Author